Friday, March 13, 2009

Organizational Learning Seminar

During the seminar, Miss Waltrant Ritter who is research director of Knowledge Enterprises asked us some questions. One question is embedded in my mind is:
How do you know that you learned?

Yes! For me, I started my study from kindergarten, primary school, secondary school....until now; I still go to school every weekday.

So you do your homework. But have you learned?
And you go to lectures. But have you learned?
And you get 'A' in some subjects. But have you learned?

When you count how much time you use for your study and what you have learned.
If you think about it, you'll see that working harder doesn't mean learning more.

My experience
Dick, is a primary 3 student, I teach him every Monday and Thursday.
When I asked him: "What you have learn today?”,
he always answers me so quickly such as "the sum of the fractional numbers". Then I asked him: "Do you know how to calculate it?" He said: "Sure! I know."
I gave him 10 questions to test his mathematics knowledge. After he did it, only 4 questions he did correctly. You can see that Dick always believe that he know that he learned in the school. But in fact, he doesn't know what he learned.

How about you? Are you same as Dick?
So, are there any ways to test I know that I learned?

I think we should ask ourselves a question to know what I have learned:
"Can I answer a question I could not have answered previously?"
If you can answer a question that you could not have answered previously, you've learned something. Although this way cannot apply in all situations, it is a basic question to know what I learned. Take one step ahead such as practicing, applying, trial and error can also test what I learned.

2 comments:

  1. Molly, your opinion is interesting. I think so that we always say that we have learnt some knowledge, but in fact we haven't grasp it thoroughly. Thus, after I have learnt a lesson of statistic, I will try to calculate the questions to test whether I know well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Agnes!!
    More and more practice is very useful especailly for mathematics. :)

    ReplyDelete